#DiverseAThon Wrap-Up

21 september 2016

As I mentioned in a previous blogpost, I decided to participate in the #DiverseAThon! This readathon was hosted by Monica, Christina, Whitney and Joce and took place from Monday the 12th till Monday the 19th of September. They challenged us to read as many diverse books as we could, and they also hosted some amazing Twitter chats. Sadly, I could only participate in one chat because of the time difference, but even though it was only one, it was very insightful and I learned a lot!

I completed, and loved, 5 books over the course of the readathon! I have to admit that I cheated a little bit and started a day early, but I'm still very happy with what I read. 
Everything Leads to You
Title: Everything Leads to You
Author: Nina LaCour
Genres: YA, Contemporary

Everything Leads to You was the first book I finished during the readathon, and I loved it. A lot. 
It was a very light and easy read, and I loved basically every aspect of it; the friendships, the movie set design, the romance, the mystery, just EVERYTHING. Nina LaCour might actually become one of my favorite contemporary authors. 
★★★★/5 stars

The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse
Title: The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse
Author: Brian Farrey
Genres: Middle Grade, Fantasy
Goodreads

The Secret of Dreadwillow Carse was a very dark, but beautiful book. It had a very fairytale-esque feel to it, and it features 2 amazing female MCs who form a wonderful friendship. I have to admit that I had tears streaming down my face when I finished this, because I was so happy with what this book teaches it's readers.
★★★★/5 stars


Some Kind of HappinessTitle: Some Kind of Happiness
Author: Claire Legrand
Genres: Middle Grade, Fantasy
Goodreads

When I finished Some Kind of Happiness I just couldn't stop talking about it. FINALLY I have found a book that describes anxiety/panic attacks the way I experience them, in a way that isn't sugar-coated. I loved this book so much, and not only because of the realistic-ness of it, but also because the overall story is so beautiful and the characters were amazing.
★★★★/5 stars



Title: Girl Against the Universe
Girl Against the UniverseAuthor: Paula Stokes
Genres: YA, Contemporary
Goodreads

I honestly started this one because it dealt with anxiety, but I kept reading because of the romance. The romance was beautiful, and I loved that mental health played a part in the romance, but in a real 'we help each other' way. Jordy is my new bookish boyfriend <3 The anxiety-aspect of the book is a thing that I, sadly, had some problems with, but I still very much enjoyed the book.
★★★★/5 stars

GeorgeTitle: George
Author: Alex Gino
Genres: Middle Grade, Contemporary
Goodreads

This book was such an important read for me! I learned so much from it, and I enjoyed every second of it. The story itself was adorable, and made my heart very very happy. It was the perfect end to the #DiverseAThon for me.
★★★★/5 stars

Even though the readathon is over, I definitely won't stop reading diversely. This week has really shown me how important reading diversely is, and that I still have a lot left to learn. I especially want to read more books with characters from different backgrounds and cultures, because I realize that the characters I read about this week were mostly white. And so are the authors. I definitely need to change that.

These are some of the books that have moved to the top of my TBR, in case you were interested:
The Wrath & the Dawn (The Wrath & the Dawn, #1)Bad FeministThe Abyss Surrounds Us (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #1)milk and honey


I am really happy that I participated in the #DiverseAThon, and I want to thank the lovely ladies who I mentioned above for hosting! And if you guys have any diverse book recommendations for me, please let me know!




Geen opmerkingen :

Een reactie posten